Initial treatment for both injuries involves RICED.
- Rest – stop the activity you are doing to avoid further damage.
- Ice – place crushed ice wrapped in a damp towel on the injured area for 20 minutes every 2 hours for the first 48 hours.
- Compression – firm bandaging helps reduce swelling and bleeding.
- Elevation – keep the affected area raised as much as possible.
- Diagnosis – it is very important to see your doctor or physiotherapist if the pain and swelling gets worse or you have not improved after a couple of days.